Your Values – knowing about them is important!
I was recently asked to give a talk to a group of women who want to be more successful and I chose the subject of values. This is because they are so important in driving your success in life or even driving you down a road that you don’t want to go down. I’ve given you access to a values elicitation tool here so that you can find out yours.
Values are your motivators, your drivers. They are usually in place by the age of 7 and can then get changed as life happens and we change our beliefs. watch the video below and then read the rest of the reasons for the importance of knowing your values below the video. Remember to download your Values tool.
If you know what your values are you can really use them in the following ways:
- Tick them – so use them in your life, business, career or relationships. Mine for my business are Determination, Fun, Clarity and Making a difference and I make sure that I “tick”those every day and then feel happy with my progress.
- Live by them. So I measure my decisions in terms of whether they are ticking my values – It’s so much easier to make those decisions then.
- Explain to others what they are. When I do this they understand me and “get” me which I find really helpful.
- Be able to find out what other’s values are. This means that you can tick theirs in your interactions with them, which makes life so much more interesting and relationships are stronger.
- Know whether yours are useful for you – sometimes people have values which have “no movement” such as honesty, ethics, creativity and freedom. Lovely and if you think about it, not very useful to push a business or career forward. Maybe having something such as Purpose or Determination may move people more – what do you think? I put determination at the top of mine, which is easy to do with NLP
Here’s the link for the Values tool – let me know what your results are.
Have a great week and see you next week