Limiting beliefs – Where have they come from?
I talk about this moment a lot – I was sitting in my cabin trying to do a web site and business cards, worrying about not having any clients, and thinking about the time I went networking, stood up and couldn’t say what I did. It all boiled down to the belief I had – that I wasn’t good enough!
And here’s the thing – it was stopping me doing things, felt very uncomfortable and I had a lot of negative chatter in my head.
Have a watch of the video below and then have a think about where your limiting beliefs have come from and what you can do about them.
I expect you have a good idea of where your limiting beliefs come from? Or maybe you’ve never really considered that question?
While it’s good to accept that the only person that put those beliefs in your head is you, they often come from the following places:
Parents, grandparents, teachers, friends, colleagues, relationships, the media, society beliefs and events that happen – all of these give us plenty of beliefs to adopt and believe are true.
When things happen or we adopt a belief, it always starts with a split second decision. For instance, when I stood up in a networking event and couldn’t say anything, that was a point in time when I decided that I wasn’t good enough.
Your brain then starts to notice similar events and your original decision becomes a self fulfilling belief which you think is true. That belief may work for you or not, depending on what you want to achieve in life.
So , what can you do about a limiting belief:-
- Accept that you have a limiting belief and that it might not be true
- Accept that you put that belief in your head
- Ask yourself whether the belief is true or not? May be it is that bungee cord taking you back to an event where you made that decision?
- Ask yourself what you woud like to believe instead: – so for me that might be ” I can achieve whatever I want, I am an excellent coach, I can run a successful business”
- Look for the evidence of those things being true and believe those things.
This works over time. If you don’t have time or you have tried these things in the past and still have limitations, then get in touch.
I am an expert in helping cutting people cut those bungee cords very quickly so they can live their life in a fulfilling and happy way.
Until next week, focus on the empowering beliefs!
Dr Bridget – expert bungee cord cutter