What to do about Overthinking
Overthinking is very common and can be an issue which causes mental health challenges, lack of sleep and it also stops us from solving problems. I always remember the time, a couple of years ago, when I was standing in the kitchen with so many things going on in my head and it kept me rooted to the ground and stuck! That was a physical manisfestation of over thinking. It lead to procrastination and stopped me from sleeping.
Have a watch of the video below, and then read about the ways to stop the overthinking and change the channel, to one of a peaceful and focused mind
These are the main ways that I use and teach my clients to use:
- Notice all of the chatter- rather than just keeping overthinking. Become aware of it when it happens.
- Focus on solving the problem – use time management and productivity tools like the pomodora technique. Plan your month, week, day and hours. Write lists and prioritise. Journaling helps.
- Challenge the beliefs you have that may not be true. If you think “I’m not good enough” or “I’ll never be able to do that”, you may be wrong and it may be a result of past programming and protecting yourself from past hurts.
- Schedule time for reflection. So journaling, meditation, mindfulness are very useful.
- Time Line Therapy (R) is an American Board of NLP technique which is extremely effective and removes major negative emotions and any limiting beliefs from your thinking. It’s amazing how effective this is and how the overthinking simply stops leaving you room to live your life to your full potential, Ask me for more information.
See you next week
Dr Bridget – clearing your thinking