Role Models – A Different Perspective
I was recently running an NLP Master Practitioner course and we were talking about modelling – this is where NLP has come from – Modelling excellence. Its a key part of the course. Click here for more information about NLP courses
We do a project on my Master Practitioner course where we model a skill that someone has, by eliciting that person’s values, beliefs and strategies and then installing these in ourself – a much quicker way of effecting change than being taught.
Unusually, people on the course were struggling with who to have as a Role Model and I had to agree – I don’t really have one myself (apart from Princess Di). I spent some time wondering who I respected enough to want to change to become like them.
And then I had a light bulb moment – I thought that perhaps I could become my own Role Model and become one for other people. It led to a consideration of what qualities I would like to have that other people and myself might respect- have a watch of the video and then answer the questions below it for yourself.
The qualities that I’d like to improve or develop in myself are:
- Having an interest in people and things- doing pretty well with this
- Making a difference to people- definitely something that’s key for me and I am doing that
- Being myself, which includes making sure I “tick” my values, keep my boundaries, as and the same time, be flexible to enable other people’s models of the world- I’m mainly doing this
- Taking action and being determined- doing this most of the time
- Self care – important in my journey through this life and something that I’ve been working on this year
Next year, I want to improve my capability to ask for help – I think this is part of self-care and not something that comes easily to me. It would make a huge difference to my life and a behaviour that I encourage in my clients – so I’m committing to do that. It will make me a better Role Model
Questions for you:
- What qualities would you look for in yourself, to be your own and others’ Role Model?
- What would you change to get these (if anything) ?
- Is it OK to be a Role Model for yourself and others?
Once you have decided whether you need to change anything, post in the comments, and as always, let me know here if you need to talk through anything.
Until next week
Dr Bridget – being the best Role Model I can be.