What does personal growth mean?
I’m really passionate about personal growth and I’m always really curious about what enables people to grow, and what enables me to grow (as I’m always growing).
So I thought that in this week’s Prescription for Success I’d talk about what personal growth means and consider some key components of personal growth. Watch the video and have a think about your own personal growth.
I think it’s about your knowledge, your skills and competency in a particular area of your life. Maybe in an area where you want to be able to think and feel and grow to be really excellent to get the results that you want in your life.
There are certain components to this. In my view there’s:
- Self-awareness – is about being aware of your own qualities and other people’s qualities so that you are in control.
- Self-confidence -is being aware of your strengths and weaknesses so you can do whatever you want to do and reach your goals.
- Self-love – is your ability to take care of yourself and to love yourself which gives you a feeling of self-worth.
- Self-acceptance is about accepting yourself on the journey as you are now. I always think of personal growth as a journey and whether you think you’ve got there or you are on the way, you can accept yourself for where you are and take some lessons as things happen.
- Self-compassion – is when you take care of yourself no matter what happens – so be compassionate if you make a mistake or other people think you make a mistake and just say to yourself “that’s fine”. Say “I’m on the journey of personal growth and I’ll learn from that”
- Self-reliance – That’s being able to rely on yourself and not be dependent on other people and be at cause (in charge of your feelings and decisions).
So that to me is what personal growth is.
If you are struggling with this then get in touch because I do a free half-hour where we can have a chat about any of those things that you want to improve. In particular, my NLP course is all about gaining excellence and being the person you want to be so be sure to get in touch.
Until next week,
Dr Bridget – growing each day and loving it.