Really Understanding Goal Setting
We’ve all been there – we set goals at various times of the year and then expect them to miraculously happen and that’s because we haven’t set them properly. Your conscious mind sets goals but it is your unconscious mind that gets them and that’s really important because your unconscious mind is there to protect you and if it has any doubts or is unclear about the goal in any way, it’s not going to happen. Watch the video and then set a goal for yourself for this time next year.
The important things to consider as you write your goal are:
- Projecting yourself into the future – your unconscious mind will think that it is real when you say “It’s the 1st February 2020 ( or whatever the date will be ) and I am ………..
- Make the goal positive – what you want rather than what you don’t want
- Make sure that you can start the goal and maintain it. If someone else is part of how you get your goal and they change their mind, you will not get your goal, so set a goal that is your part of it
- Be specific – your unconscious mind is generally lazy and will be do the minimum if you don’t specify what you really want.
- Involve all your senses – write down what you feel, what you see, what you hear and what you say to yourself when you have the goal
- Make sure it is ecological – so is it OK in your world for you to have this goal? If I put that I was going to travel the world, then it would not be ecological because I like my home and want to be there.
- Make sure that it increases choice for you
- Make sure that is is a whole life goal – it includes all aspects of your life that are important to you.
And then every day ask yourself these 2 questions – What did I do yesterday to get my goal? and what will I do today to get my goal?
I’ve attached a pdf here – Goal setting – which includes how to set a goal and also my most recent goal
So create a goal as soon as you can and if you have any difficulty doing that, either because you don’t understand the process, or you have doubts, get in touch and we can do a free 1/2 hour to find out how to overcome the blocks.
If you’d like to join my STRETCH mastermind to help you get these goals, have access to experts and accountability, the details are here.
Until next week- Make this your best year yet!
Dr Bridget – setting goals with ease